Coding for Kids:
The Complete Guide for Parents in 2020
Parents face a lot of confusion when it comes to teaching Coding for Kids. Some of the initial confusion include ‘what is coding for kids? Why is it important? How to teach coding for children? Who are the trusted companies to learn coding?. That why? We have come up with a guide and solution. Before jumping to the topics, let us learn the basics of Coding or Programming for Kids.
1.What is Coding for Kids?
Coding is another name called computer programming. Coding let us create things such as computer software, websites, apps and video games. Coding for kids is the collection of chances available for children to get involved in coding.
The benefits of selecting this skill, especially for teenagers, are numerous with endless opportunities. These opportunities intend to be fun and gamified to stay the young mind engaged.
2.Why should every child learn to code ? (or) Why is it important to learn to code ?
Why should kids learn coding? There are numerous reasons to learn coding. problem-solving skills, job opportunities, critical thinking, and creativity etc. there are so many reasons to learn programming.Let’s see why kids should learn programming.
- Job opportunities :
Computer programming becomes rooted in more aspects of society and technology continues to rapidly advance. The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that 1.3 million jobs in computer programming or coding and mathematical occupations will be created by 2020. Many parents and teachers see offering computer programming educational opportunities to students as essential.
- Coding helps kids can improve Critical and logical thinking :
They use analytical thinking and reasoning skills, math and literacy skills. Coding challenges kids to think creatively. This enables a child to think out of the box.
- Programming helps children learn to Problem-solving skills :
Coding helps kids develop excellent cognitive skills, and at the same time learn the computer’s way of solving problems. problem-solving skills like perseverance, understanding of cause and effect.
- Coding is the future :
The future of the planet is undoubtedly getting to be supported by technology. In such a time, we’ll require several people who are excellent in this field to pave the trail ahead.
3.What is the best age to learn coding? (or) When should my kid learn to code?
The brain is formed fully by the age of 9 and then the decision-making capability starts.
Coding preferably should start before that. Higher Order Thinking Skills should be introduced post the age of 9, this can be done through introducing Computational thinking in Secondary years.
Having said that, it’s not late if your child has crossed his primary years.
Just that the earlier he/she starts, the better it is.
4.Is coding is difficult for kids ?
This purely depends on the way it is introduced. A child friendly way to introduce it to children will give
We can teach children only so much, they start teaching us after that !!
We have worked with schools and have seen amazing results in the coding competitions conducted regularly in schools !
5.How do I introduce my child to coding? (or) How can kids learn to code?
- Depends on the age of the child.
- There are a lot of apps available which induct a child into coding…try LightBotJr for 1st years …graduate to ScratchJr
- We have a whole set of tools year on year which introduce them to coding and build their skills gradually. Read more
- And we have seen children run towards the computer in classrooms for their turn
6.What is the best programming language for a child to learn?
- Block-based Programming Language to start with which ignites the coding mindset.
- If you start a child onto higher-level languages directly, he will dislike it instantaneously.
- The reason is that children by nature like shapes, color, movements, they like to play!
- We get them to play and map the concepts appropriately
7.Why GUI based Learning method is good for kids?
- Kids learn to read before they write.
- A language like English too is taught to be read before a child learns to write.
- Similar principle applies to Coding Languages.
- The child needs to learn to read code before he writes code.
- GUI Based Learning methodology promotes this kind of learning.
8.What is the best way to teach kids programming?
- You should start coding for children in school with “Scratch, Python” or similar. bring into focus on fun little games, and set up towards a real “project” at the end of school. Let them flaunt those activities to the younger children!
- Coding for primary students or coding for 1 to 5 year olds: Bring into focus on REPL-capable Programming language. Mix in some coding fundamentals and lightweight history. Build again towards a project at the end of primary school that incorporates everything.
- Coding for secondary students or coding for 6 to 14 year olds: Bring into focus on distinctions between collections, some light theory, discussion of algorithmic complexity, functional techniques, recursion and why that’s hard but important.
9.Which are the best programming courses online for kids?
- Scratch Jr for kids: Scratch jr coding language and an online community where children can program and share interactive media like stories, games, and animation with people from everywhere on the planet. As children create with Scratch Jr, they learn to think creatively,
- Python coding for kids: Students will be able to code in Python and will be able to create their own web pages. They will understand coding concepts like variables, loops, and conditionals. Students use 3D models to start creating rich games.
This is a well-liked coding language, utilized in general purposes for small and large scale applications, alongside getting used for general purposes it’s a high-level programming language, which will be wont to develop desktop GUI (graphical user interface)application, websites and web applications. Apart from all this, it’s also easy to read and easy to implement, unlike java, c,c++.
10.Career opportunities for those who know coding?
Here are some of the leading options open to those who have learned to code:
- Machine Learning engineers
- Data scientists
- Computer systems analysts
- Web design and developers
- Software application developers
- Software quality assurance (QA) engineers
11.What's the best way to get a child started in programming?
There are some ways to introduce a child to programming. I’m suggesting some simple learning paths for children based on their age.These paths can change based on the kid’s attitude, willingness to learn, creativity, learning capability.
- Coding for 5, 6 year olds:
Start with something simple like ScratchJr Programming for kids with us and some programming concepts like loops, variables, strings, etc.
- Coding for 7, 8 year olds:
- Coding for 9, 10 year olds:
.Gradually move to something more sophisticated like Python coding for kids.
- Coding for 11, 12 year olds:
Start with Advanced Python programming for kids and core programming concepts
Introduce basic Object-oriented and Java programming concepts for developing applications
learning to code is most important and will keep you in good stead. Knowing more than one Programming language is often beneficial, becoming an expert in one coding language is an additional value to join the industry and you can make your own applications. And hopefully this guide helps you and your kids take a leap forward.
If you truly need your Kids/child to learn programming, coding abilities and most up-to-date advancements in IT enterprises for Child, you have to visit: Champions Inc